Sunday 19 April 2015

2) How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?

Due to the fact that I am the producer of my media product, it would be easy for my to answer the questions since I will be biased in my point of view, I would only answer entirely positively or entirely negatively this would mean that I would have unreliable results about my products. I have made a questionnaire to ensure that I get a variety of answers and suggestions in order to improve and get an idea of how I have developed through the year.






 
In order to get the questionnaire around I emailed it to various people who I know (though no permission was asked to show there names so in the screen shots are tutor numbers) in total, 21 people participated in this questionnaire and they varied from subjects. Though most of them were media students, some of the participants studied Art, Graphics, Photography, Maths and Music. This was to ensure that I had a variety of answers and which are less biased than me or the people whom study media.
 
Respondent Graphs 
 
These are samples of questions that have been responded to and have the capabilities of being put into a graph. These are the results that it came up with.
 
 
Out of the 21 respondents, editing was the most popular due to the fact that it is the convention that dominates the music video seeing as though it was the intended main feature. Through this I can see that it has worked. When is came to explaining why, those who said editing generally expressed that the syncing with the beat of the song is very effective, an example: 'The editing is effective since it matches the beat of the song'.

 
Out of the 21 respondents, 19 people said Yes and 2 people said Maybe, it became apparent that the dominant answer was Yes. The general understanding of what the music video and ancillary text in the case of ideology was sot of lost on those who said Maybe. An example of someone who said yes: 'All of the products connect seeing as though they use the same image. They work together well, you can see from that single frame in the music video the image that had been used for the ancillary texts'. (This was said by a media student) This showing that the ancillary texts fit together and that they are relevant to each other since the main image is included in all of them. An example of someone who said Maybe: 'I don't really know what the music video is about and how the CD cover and Poster links to it' (this was said by an Math Student) This showing that the experience of one person to another is different and may lead to different outcome when viewing all of the products together. It is something that the audience need to look and think about for a while before they can see it. Since media students have more ability to analyse something compared to that of a Math student.
 
 
Conclusion
 
From the information that I have gathered, it seems that the audience to agree to some extent collectively that the 3 products are effective together. Though this still may be a biased view depending on the fact that the majority of the participants were media students, though other students weren't used, it all depended on the majority. This would mean that the findings aren't all that fair. Although the majority did say yes to the question of whether or not the 3 products have continuity, the people who did say maybe did have a good point in saying that they didn't understand it. But seeing as though the media students are able to see more clearly what is right and wrong about the 3 texts, I would say that the finding are more effective in that sense.

My Thoughts (on own products)
 
From looking at my own products, I would say that the continuity is strong as they have included the same imagery as each other, so visually speaking they are similar to one another. In terms of ideology they do have the same ideology, yet it is the fact that whether or not it comes across clearly enough is questionable. This is something that I would want to change as it would then make the ideology more effective.
The main factor that justifies the continuity would be the main image that runs through each of the 3 texts.
 
 
With the CD cover and the Poster the continuity is clear due to the fact that it uses the same font and paper effects and colour scheme.
 
 
Gorillaz - Plastic Beach
 
The main example as inspiration that I used is the Gorillaz Plastic beach, this is an example of a cohesive package.
 
 
Melancholy Hill
 
 
In which the main image is used to connect all of the texts.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment